Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Considering launching DVDs is in a very small way via the

Considering launching DVD’s is in a very small way via the internet (I think initially about 10 -20 sales per week). The sales would be in US $. The DVD’s would be sent out by a fulfilment house in the US.

As I am in the UK my merchant account bank has stipulated the US $ from sales be paid into my UK bank.
My questions are;

1) Would I need a US company and register with the US authorities?
2) Would I be taxed on the sales by the UK or US?
3) If I require a company would a company based in Delaware or does it not particularly matter?

I would like to ascertain the answers to these questions to see whether it is viable at the moment.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If you are making sales in the US then taxes would need to be paid in the US on those sales and that means registering in the US as at least a foreign business entity and paying foreign business taxes on sales made in the US. Most companies do this by forming a US corporate entity, usually a limited liability company, and Delaware or Nevada are the states of choice lately because of the more favorable corporate laws. Both states require you to have a local registered agent for service of process and there are services available in both states that will not only set up your corporate entity but for an annual maintenance fee will provide an address and registered agent in the state. You would be taxed in the US on sales made in the US and have to file a US tax return for the business.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.