Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My mother died at the end of Feb. 2007. Following her death,

Customer Question

My mother died at the end of Feb. 2007. Following her death, I became very sick and have medical documentation supporting this and the fact i had a type of amnesia for 5 to 6 months following the death. My memory is very cloudy but I recall having to go to a lawyer, in the area my Mother and Step-father lived, and signing something which i guess gave my step-father full beneficiary rights. My brother also had to sign something but he is dyslexic so he has know idea what the papers stated. Do i go to the law firm and request a copy of what i signed? My step-father is of no help with my questions and I strongly believe my Mom would have had some sort of life insurance and that my brother and myself would have been beneficiaries.

thank you,
amy
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My mother died at the end of Feb. 2007. Following her death, I became very sick and have medical documentation supporting this and the fact i had a type of amnesia for 5 to 6 months following the death. My memory is very cloudy but I recall having to go to a lawyer, in the area my Mother and Step-father lived, and signing something which i guess gave my step-father full beneficiary rights. My brother also had to sign something but he is dyslexic so he has know idea what the papers stated. Do i go to the law firm and request a copy of what i signed? My step-father is of no help with my questions and I strongly believe my Mom would have had some sort of life insurance and that my brother and myself would have been beneficiaries. thank you, amy

Response: Yes, you need to go back to the law firm that handled the signing and request a copy of the documents that you signed. Once you review the documents, you would then know how to proceed including retaining your own lawyer to challenge the documents, if necessary.