Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
10033880

I had taken a deposit from a client who wanted me to photograph

I had taken a deposit from a client who wanted me to photograph their wedding. They backed out and want their $1300 deposit back. I do not have a signed contract. My literature states that the deposit is non refundable unless I can re-book the date. Do they get their deposit back?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: Most likely, if they sue you in Small Claims Court, you'll win. However, life is never that certain. You may want to offer them 25% back if they sign a settlement agreement, and then negotiate it down to 50%.

If you're only out the cost of this question (a business deduction) and say, two hours of time, settling for 50% gets you the equivalent of $325/hr for no work. Think of it that way.

The other thing is - if you can work out a "win win" the couple is more likely to say nice things about you then if they have to sue you - the bad "word of mouth" could hurt your business.

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer