MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I am wondering if our local art gallery can act as a coop without

I am wondering if our local art gallery can act as a coop without going through the motions of becoming a coop? We are wondering if we can just collect fees for showing work monthly, continue to include sales tax and take commissions on work? If the artisans involved agree to this, is there any problem with going this route? We know that other coops have failed with "too many cooks in the kitchen". This one we are a part of has become very popular, but has one person at the head of things and we have decided to collected fees because of the cost of rent, etc. So are we okay with continuing in this manner?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, in what state is the gallery located?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is Indiana.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the gallery desire to do anything more than "just collect fees for showing work monthly, continue to include sales tax and take commissions on work?" If not, it can function in this way but must of course have the agreements executed prior to imposing fees.