Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I Had a business with a partner but we never filed the agreement with the probate office,

I Had a business with a partner but we never filed the agreement with the probate office, only signed it and notarized. It was not drawn up by a lawyer either. Now we are in a dispute and have split and he is saying i owe him money. I have the only 2 original copies of our agreement as well. All he has is his word. He charged everything to a third parties accounts and is now trying to hold me fully liable when I'm not even sure he didn't skim money from the business for his own capitol gain. He stated to an employee he was going to empty bank account and take all the tools and equipment, leaving me with a parting gift of owing services I can't pay for. Any advice in this matter would be helpful
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

The written partnership agreement is binding on both you and your partner. It does not need to be filed in probate to be binding. You need to take your share of the business to protect your self. I would also contact your customers, tell them the business is dissolving but you are continuing on your own if they would like to stay with you. This will allow you attempt to continue your business.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.
This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so would you feel that he has any legal uphold on me based on just a third party charge account not affiliated with the company or can he make me pay because so far he has slandered my name to my customers and they're unsure of my services now. We both reside in the State of Alabama and the business had licence in Alabama and Georgia.

A charge that is not related to the business and not on an account on which you are personally liable will not be your responsibility.