Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am a dealer for a furniture manufacturer. I ordered about

I am a dealer for a furniture manufacturer. I ordered about $2,000.00 worth of merchandise for resale. I am unable to pay the 30 day invoice and am now past due by several months. They have turned the account to a collection agency. I have sold some but not all of the furniture to my customers. Is this a criminal act? I don't have the money to pay the invoice at this time.
No, it is a civil matter and they can sue for the money and can also come in and seize any of the furniture not sold if they maintained a security interest in the furniture (by filing a UCC-1, which most companies do not do so they would need a court order to get the furniture back). You need to negotiate a repayment plan with the collection agency to try to prevent them from suing you. If the collection agency is threatening you with arrest, then this is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you can sue the agency for up to $1000 per violation plus attorney's fees as allowed under the Act and you can also file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission for violating the Act.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.