RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Someone gained access to my wifes AOL email account this AM

Customer Question

Someone gained access to my wife's AOL email account this AM and attempted to embezel funds from all of contacts. This occurred during a 4 hour window from ~5 - 8 AM today. They the spoofed her account by creating 2 similar accounts and are trying to continue the dialog. How can I get someone to respond to this quickly?_
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 6 years ago.

RGMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RGMacEsq :

First things first, your wife needs to change the password XXXXX the account.

RGMacEsq :

And this needs to be to something that is a much more complex password.

RGMacEsq :

i.e. not a real word, such as "password" or "dandelion" but something with numbers and varying capital and lower case letters, such as "DaNd3l10n". The way these spoofers get access to email accounts is through dictionary programs that run through vast dictionaries to try to force their way into these accounts.

RGMacEsq :

A way to stop it is to change the password XXXXX something that they're not going to easily get.

Customer:

taken care of password XXXXX

RGMacEsq :

Next, she needs to write an email to her contacts and let them know that someone had used her account to try to get them to click on a link, etc... for various fraudulent purposes.

Customer:

also concerned because they attempted to gain access to some on-line accounts associated with her email id. . .already changed our banking password.

RGMacEsq :

She can either use a new email address (more secure) or use the same one (less secure, but less hassle of changing).

Customer:

email in progress. . ..how we I get AOL or law enforcement to act. They could track IP addresses immediately. . .also they erase her spam and send folders. ..but I know that can be recoverd and used as possible evidence. She called local sheriff and got a case # XXXXX they say we'll be in touch in 7-10 days.

RGMacEsq :

In terms of what you can get AOL to do: nothing. This literally happens a thousand to ten thousand times a day. Now sites like AOL and Yahoo are getting more technologically adept at combating spam and phishing attacks like these, but they're not perfect.

RGMacEsq :

Even in situations where there is harm, almost 99.9% of the time the IP addresses are overseas (and about 80% of the time they're in Nigeria).

RGMacEsq :

The local police, the state authorities, and even the FBI doesn't have jurisdiction in most of the countries that these emails are coming frmo.

RGMacEsq :

sorry... from.

Customer:

k. . .nothing really can be done other then change to more secure passwords, eh?

RGMacEsq :

Now that being said, they are working with the authorities in Nigeria, and INTERPOL, but unless this was a stateside phishing attack, there's really not much that will be done from a practical point of view.

RGMacEsq :

I wish I could say there was.

RGMacEsq :

I've been the target of a few scam attempts myself (although none successful).

Customer:

ok. . .that for your assistance

RGMacEsq :

I wish I could do something to put them in jail. And I've even filed a couple of reports. But I personally have not heard anything back from any investigators or prosecutors.

RGMacEsq :

My pleasure. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer:

so far no real harm only lots of calls from concerned friends and embarassment

RGMacEsq :

I understand. I've seen this a few times myself, and my personal email address was hacked about a year ago (which is why I know so much about this subject). I was disappointed myself when I found out that there was not much that could be done.

RGMacEsq :

That being said, you can still report the crime to the internet crime complaint center: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

RGMacEsq :

This can assist efforts, and may contribute in some small way to capture these criminals.

RGMacEsq :

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!