wallstreetesq.
wallstreetesq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years, Corp litigation, Of Counsel to several global and nationwide corporation
16356563

My husband and I are pastors of a small independent non-profit

My husband and I are pastors of a small independent non-profit incorporated church organized as a 501(c) (3) IRS ruling that is governed by a 7-member board of directors. We hold 2 board positions ourselves, so that means there are 5 other board members. Our dilemma: one of our board members has recently been indicted by a federal grand jury on some serious charges. This member will not go to trial until next year (his wife is also one of our board members, too, but she is not under indictment.) Our question: does the church face any liability if this member is convicted and we are wondering if that could affect our 501(c)(3) status?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Unless the corporation was charged, or the board member was charged for tax fraud in related to his role in the church their should not be any issues regarding your tax exempt status.