Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I was recently discharged from my inside sales job for not

I was recently discharged from my inside sales job for not meeting my sales quota. I am in in-sided furniture sales in a furniture store. Furniture sales have been so nehgatively affected by current housing crisis. During my last month, I worked 29 of 30 days to hit quota. Customers in the store were so few that I had 9-12 hour shifts where I only had 3 customers walk thru thr door. The staff was 16 when I was transferred to this store and is now 12 due to a lack of traffic. Labor day weekend 2009 sales for the store were $300K...$80K in 2010. You can only sell if the_store generates the traffic. Should I appeal this decision. I actually lost my job due to lack od business. The co said I failed to perform the duties of my job
What state was your employment in? Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX is an at-will employment state...meaning your employer had the right to terminate you for any reason unless it's illegal...such as discrimination based on race, sex, age, ethnicity, religion, etc. But, even though they had the right to terminate you, you can clearly appeal your denial of unemployment benefits. It's pretty apparent, based on your evidence, that your termination was due to the lack of business rather than for some cause on your part. It's customary for the employer to try this approach so they don't have an increase in their unemployment insurance rates, but you can easily get this overturn on appeal.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.