Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can a disabled person who receives Social Security Income in

Customer Question

Can a disabled person who receives Social Security Income in the US receive a grant or a small business loan through an LLC or INC?

MY question is if I own an LLC or INC the business where the income is separate from my personal income... can i own the business and let the income produced just go to the business.....? If i cant run it and I cant sell it..... I dont know what the heck to do. There are some financial obligations now such as utilities, credits etc. Any help would greatly appreciated....

To fill everyone in... My wife and I had a business. She ran the business I drew a disability check for a spinal condition every month for the last 8 years. Recently We divorced. The Judge awarded me the house and our business. Problem is I would love to take over the store and run it myself....but I am just physically unable to sustain employment. I had placed my house and business up for sale. Since the economy has been really sluggish and perhaps for other reasons no one has shown any interest in buying. It is a really great set up. My wife made 6 figure income every year jus on regular customers...I would like to do that as well... but cant.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Anything you receive from the LLC would have to be claimed with SSI as income, including "grants" or "sham loans (loans with no proof it is being repaid)." As an LLC, all of the income of the business is claimed on your taxes and SSI will see that. You can own shares in a C corporation and the C corporation pays taxes, but you could not take any income from that corporation and not report it to SSI which would have an impact on your benefits. If you have children that you can transfer the business to for them to have it in their name, this may be an option for you (just like when your wife ran the business), but other than that anything else is going to have some impact on your SSI benefits (although some income will not eliminate your benefits it can reduce them if it is seen as active income income from work or that you actually had to do something to earn as compared to income from things such as stocks or investments).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
You can put your major daughter (21) on the LLC and you would transfer ownership to her with contract of sale and amending the corporate annual filings and membership articles to reflect the new ownership and because of what you are doing you should use a local attorney to transfer this ownership to make sure there are no mistakes and once you become able to work again you can seek to take the company back into your name if you choose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about fueling part of my SSD into a Self Direct IRA?
That is not going to help you with whether or not you need to report the income to keep your benefits, you still have to report anything you make from the company for SSI/SSD as income whether or not you direct it to an IRA.