Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

If you work at an asset management firm and they ask you to

If you work at an asset management firm and they ask you to report all your accounts to them - is that just because it's a firm policy or is there an actual securities law / federal or state law that requires asset management employees to report all their accounts to their employer?

If you signed an agreement with the firm stating that you'll report all your accounts to them - if you violate that agreement - aside from firing you - what other recourse do they have? (i.e. can they make you dissolve your account? take your capital gains? etc)
That is a security measure undertaken by asset management firms to prevent embezzlement of money from the firm, since they would know where to look if money were missing and if an employee failed to inform them of an account then it is grounds for termination. The provision of account data is not specifically in any of the laws, what is in the laws is that these firms must have security measures in place and have been left to devise their own security measures and this is certainly part of a valid security measure.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So basically, it is not illegal and their only recourse is termination?
It is not illegal for them to ask for the information and if the employee refuses then they can terminate the employee.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I meant it's not illegal for you as the employee to not disclose and the only recourse they have if they find out you did not disclose is to terminate you? (not take your money or sue you for not disclosing)?
It is not illegal to not disclose on the employer's forms (but not advisable to fail to do so if you want the job or need to keep the job), just grounds for termination for truthfulness (and that can keep you from getting a new job). The only place it is illegal is if you are asked on any federal disclosure forms and you fail to disclose, the it is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and up to a $10,000 fine.