Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Can a corporate owner of a business(partner A) who has 50%

Can a corporate owner of a business(partner A) who has 50% ownership of the business legally obtain power of attorney of the other corporation owner who has 50%(partner B)
Partner B is clinically depressed and seeking psychiatric care, he has been admittted against his will for suicidal tendicies for 4 days, he is currently released and attending an outpatient therapy program and taking medication but he working at the business again.
I am the wife of partner B and fear he will loose his interests in this business. Pls advise what I should.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Yes and this would be in accordance with the bylaws of the corporate entity which provide for contingencies when a partner/member is unable or unwilling to perform their duties. If the bylaws are silent, then as his spouse you can go to court and get a court ordered power of attorney to transact the business affairs along with his other affairs and the corporation has a right to object and they can seek a limited power of attorney for only the business affairs. Unfortunately, what all this means is you are going to need a local attorney to go to court and get the power of attorney and possibly fight the company. However, just because the company takes the power of attorney because he cannot perform or make decisions does not mean he loses his rights in ownership or to profits from the company, just his decision making rights because he is not competent to make them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Partner B is performing his duties, but Partner A is making his depression diagnosis a big huge deal....so WHO determines if he is capable of performing his duties....HE is working everyday except 3 afternoons a week he has to be out from 3 -5pm. He comes in early those mornings to make up the missed hours....So again who makes the determination he is unable to "perform " his corporate duties?

If the corporation is seeking to remove him for being unable to perform and he objects, then the court would make the determination and this means getting a lawyer to represent him because the corporation will have to have a lawyer as well and using his medical records and doctor's testimony that he is capable and competent to perform his duties required of him.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.