Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Hello, I wondr if this is defamation. Here id a letter that

Hello, I wondr if this is defamation. Here id a letter that my reference company sent me:_ _Attached you will find the completed reference check report for Tropicare Services.__ __I first asked to speak to Mr. Manassa but was informed that he is no longer there. I then asked to speak to someone who could verify your employment. I was referred to Ms. Barber in HR. She did let me know that you are not eligible for re-hire yet would not tell me why. She stated that she didn’t want to “get herself in trouble”. This comment left me with doubts about the circumstances surrounding your departure. A potential employer might see this as a red flag. Consequently, I believe that this is not a very good reference.__ __Please let me know if you have any questions.__ __Regards,
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. Here's the thing....To prevail in a suit for libel or slander and recover damages, you must prove 4 things: (i) the defendant conveyed a defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than you); (iii) you can be identified as the the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) you suffered an injury to your reputation as a result of the communication. If you left with no issues so that the implication was false, then I do think you have a case for defamation. If, on the other hand, there were issues with your departure such that these comments could be construed as true, you would not satisfy element (i).

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.