Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

What is the legal status of a police summons that is addressed

What is the legal status of a police summons that is addressed incorrectly to a person by their nickname. My partner owes some money to somebody who knows her by her nickname. This person has gone to the police and given the nickname instead of the legal name of my partner. How should she respond, and is she obliged to go?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
These summonses can be modified by the court and as long as the police can prove that the person they issued the summons to goes by that nickname and it is the same person identified by the party who issued the complaint, then the court will modify the summons to include the real name and the nickname would be listed as an alias. She needs to go to court and can move to dismiss based on the improper name, but what the courts will do in almost every case is modify the summons to include her real name.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response.

One thing that needs to be clarifed is that this is a civil complain. In Bahrain it becomes a crime if the borrower issues a cheque, and the cheque is returned unpaid. Since the cheque has not been presented, is my partner obliged to go to the police? The court has not been involved so far.
If the police are summonsing her, then it is in her best interests to cooperate but she should do so with an attorney. In cooperation she will likely be able to avoid court involvement, but if she does nothing the police will just force the matter into court and then it could end up costing her much more.