Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

Ive been diagnosed with depression and have started to take

I've been diagnosed with depression and have started to take ZOloft.

The reason this came about is because I am not getting sleep because of the abuse by my manager at work who runs hot and cold. Perceptively on some days I'm doing a wonderful job and the next apparently i'm a complete screw up. It's shifting goals without communication, disparagement, etc. typical bad boss stuff.

I know i'm doing a good job because the client is happy, paying their bills and askingus about more work. REgardless of all this, I am still made to fear for my job.

So, the question is, do i tell them about the depression? Someone said I should to freeze their hand but I'm not sure what that means..
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
If you tell them you are having depression problems then there are certain hoops they have to jump through and they can't take disciplinary action for your depression if you request a reasonable accommodation.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So I understand it makes it more difficult for them. As a practical matter, what would be reasonable expectations as to the fall-out?

Piss them off even more?

Remove me from my role and reassign me to something tedious / non-stressful?

Other?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
You can't ask for a different job, but you can ask for a reasonable accommodation that will allow you to do your job even with your disability. The practical effect, usually, is that a company becomes more cautious to avoid lawsuits.