Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am involved in facilitating deals where I will be earning

I am involved in facilitating deals where I will be earning fees/commissions in large sums. The buyer and seller, or one of the two may be US residents, but I am not. I have two questions:
1. Will the fees be taxable when received by me and transferred to an account set-up for these funds.
2. Will the Paymaster be responsible for getting the funds cleared from the authorities, specially in view of the Patriot Act
Yes, if you are earning the funds in the US then they would be taxable in the US. The way most people handle these transactions is to set up a limited liability company in the US and a US bank account and take the funds into that account. The foreign resident then files a foreign tax return here in the US for any money earned while in the US. The Paymaster is not generally responsible for having the funds cleared, that is up to you receiving the funds to have an account set up to properly receive the funds and this is where most foreign nationals hire a local attorney to set up their LLC and to get their payment accounts set up.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. But the Paymaster asked me for a W8 to show I was not resident.

You also mentioned "any money earned while in the US", but I will not be in the US. My efforts are all outide the US.
If you are not in the US and not earning money through efforts in the US, then there is no need for payments to any US accounts (I misunderstood that you were in the US or conducting business in the US). A W-8 form is to certify your foreign status to allow them to send payments out of the country and deposit them in a foreign account. This covers the paymaster from making payments to that foreign account.