Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

A young man and his wife have started a home based baking business

A young man and his wife have started a home based baking business in NC as sole proprietors. They are not related to me. I paid for the start up costs of the business - about $7500 dollars. I am not in any hurry to get paid back. Is this considered a gift by the IRS - and as such they cannot claim it on their taxes as a 179 deduction? Or would they need to pay it back this year? They started their business officially in June. Or can it be treated as a loan from me to be paid back over time?

Good morning. You should treat is as either a loan or a capital contribution. If a loan, it should be evidenced by a promissory note. If a capital contribution, it should be recognized in their formation documents. There is no required payback time...just however the parties agree. It would not, in either case, result in a 179 deduction for them. A 179 deduction is available only for things that they purchase; not for money coming to them.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.