Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I was declared bankrupt in July, 2009. This July, 2010, however,

I was declared bankrupt in July, 2009. This July, 2010, however, I had a heart attack which mandated open heart surgery and five bypasses. I'm now staring at a six-figure hospital bill that, at the age of 60, I'll NEVER be able to pay off! Further, my situation in terms of employment and lack of same haven't changed since July, 2009 and I don't expect they ever will!
If efforts to get at least part of the hospital bill covered through various foundations, etc., fail and I'm stuck with this huge bill, what do you recommend - outside of faking my own death of course!

So sorry to hear of your dilemna. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

Do you have assets? What chapter bankruptcy did you file in 2009?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chapter 7 - liquidation

If you have assets that you are attempting to protect, you can file a chapter 13 bankruptcy. Unlike a chapter 7, a debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.

However you may not have any assets that can be attached by a creditor since you just filed chapter 7 bankruptcy last year. Therefore although the medical providers may file suit against you, they will not be able to collect the judgment

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my work