MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I have a retail bookstore-have leased for 7 years. My lease

I have a retail bookstore-have leased for 7 years. My lease states that I am renting "approximately 1071 square feet". My measurement of the space I occupy comes out to 873 square feet, a difference of 198 square feet which I have been charged for.
What is my best next step with the property owners/landlords? (Who have never been tenant friendly)
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, your next step is to have the space you are renting surveyed by a professional to determine the exact square footage of the space. If your measurement are accurate or in any event if your lease is inaccurate with respect to your actual square footage, you can seek reimbursement of a portion of your lease payments to date.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What kind of "professional" is needed for this survey?
A land surveyor.