Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

Hi, My husband and I personally guaranteed a two year lease

Hi, My husband and I personally guaranteed a two year lease on a commerical building that I had my company in. We where sued and had to file a corporate bk and leave the space. We negotiated the terms of the lease and have been making a monthly payment of 1400.00. This payment is becoming increasingly difficult to make due to the lack of work for self employment on my part. My husband does have a salary position and I am afraid they will try to garnish his wages if payment is not made. What do I do?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Hmm, how much more do you owe on the debt? Do you have any other debts out at this time?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they would only agree to 12 mos. We have now made 3 mos of payments into the 12- The only other debt we carry is mortgage and car notes
Thank you for your patience.

At this point, if they are unwilling to renegotiate, you may want to seriously consider personal bankruptcy. Usually this is a viable option if your debts are beyond $10,000, and you are really having a hard time making the payments. If you think that you can suffer through the next nine months, then consider doing so, as bankruptcy does ruin your credit history for 7 to 10 years. You can also use that as a bargaining chip--you can tell the holder that you are considering filing for bankruptcy, and if they do not wish to lose the whole debt to a discharge, they may want to work with you on a renegotiation and a new payment plan.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/5/2010 at 9:59 PM EST