JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues

My previous employer became previous when the company was

My previous employer became "previous" when the company was acquired last month by a competitor. The new company required signing of a non-compete agreement that I felt was unacceptable in order to "continue" employment. Since then, one of my coworkers, who also refused to sign, and I have formed our own company. Today I received a letter from an attorney representing the previous owner that basically threatened to sue us if we continue to call on "her" customers. Can she do that? The letter stated that although no non-compete was signed, I did sign the employee handbook (which I do not have a copy of, nor do I remember signing) and therefore am bound legally to maintain company secrets. The company no longer exists as of September 3, 2010. Doesn't that make any paperwork that I supposedly signed obsolete?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
BizAttorney :

hello

BizAttorney :

I will be assisting you.

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What more do you need?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your question. In a situation where a non-compete is not signed it is not enforceable.

There are laws allowing an employer to seek legal recourse against persons who disclose certain trade secret information. Calling on the same customer and not revealing trade secrets would not be the basis of such a legal suit. A demand or cease and desist letter has no legal force and a recipient has no obligation to comply with such a letter. Going forward, you should consider seeking a local attorney to discuss the information you plan to share with these customers, if there is any information to be shared. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated.
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in business formation and licensing issues