RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Purchased a business from person. Had dispute with landlord

Purchased a business from person. Had dispute with landlord for the strat, the party I purchased the business said if you need to move do it. Ended up moving. The next day the person texted said I stole his store and wanted all the money now or he was filing charges. I had to move every into my house and no payment was do the party yet. Able to reopen and the party now again demanding payment which I owe him. Said he had filed charges. What do I do wait for the paper work or pay? This is in Houston Texas
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
RGMacEsq :

When do you have to pay, and what paperwork are you referring to?

Customer :

He wrote bill of sale with payment plan. Now he stated he filed charges for stolen items that where in the store.

RGMacEsq :

When did (or do) you have to pay?

RGMacEsq :

And do you have a copy of the bill of sale?

Customer :

yes I have copy of the bill of sale. nothing in talked of moving from the location and he had said it was ok to move but now different story

RGMacEsq :

Do you have any evidence of him saying it was okay (witnesses, text, email, etc...) or was it verbal between just the two of you?

Customer :

yes it was verbal and yes i have witness

RGMacEsq :

Thank you. You said that no payment was due to the party yet. When is it due?

Customer :

When i moved it was due on june 20th on june 21 he stated filed charges. so made no paymt

Customer :

correction payment due 20th of june moved 14 june called on the 15 said charges filed

RGMacEsq :

I would tell him that he had no right to file charges when payment was not due yet, but you're willing to pay him upon him dropping the charges against you.

Customer :

great will do should i have him sign paper saying that and he has no further claim

RGMacEsq :

Yes. But ultimately, he couldn't really bring any criminal charges against you (at least successfully) because you have a bill of sale regarding this. The police would essentially tell him that this is a civil matter (breach of contract) and not criminal. But it is best to get his written consent to this matter, that he will drop the charges and not pursue any cause of action, criminal or civil once he is paid this amount. Make sure that you give him a check so that you can track that he deposits it.

RGMacEsq :

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer :

I will do the accept thank you for the help