Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law
3396227

How to write business rent reduction letter

Customer Question

How to write business rent reduction letter?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Please explain the circumstances of why you want a rent reduction?

Is there a written lease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im behind on rent six month including October; the amount required is about 25,000 including attorny fees and late payment, my monthly rent is 3,575.00

Dear JACUSTOMER - I'm not certain what basis you have to ask for a reduction of the rent but the more pressing problem is the past due rent which can subject you to an immediate eviction. I'm also not certain from your limited facts whether you have tried to negotiate with the landlord as to the past due amount.

All you can do in this situation is write a letter to the landlord explaining your overall problems and why you are behind. You can also ask if the landlord would be willing to accept a lower per month amount for the remainder of the lease and also if there can be some payment arrangement made to make up for the past due amount.

If you cannot arrange something then you will probably face an eviction however you can seek protection in the bankruptcy court to discharge the debt of the past due rent and any further obligation on the lease. I really don't know if any landlord is going to accept a reduction if the rent is this far behind but you can certainly explain the problem and see what happens.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience: 25 years practicing law
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you help with writing the letter, I have a dead time by tomorrow to reply. following what their layer wrote tome

"Thank you for calling me today in response to the notice of default that I sent. Per our conversation, you are going to submit a payment proposal to me to take to WRIT for consideration; you have promised to get that proposal to me by next Monday, October 4, 2010. You may reply to this email to submit the proposal. Thank you."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Land lords attorny ask me to write a letter of rent forgivness for the past due a mount

I cannot actually write the letter but you can say something like " Due to (state the reasons like slow business or ill health) I would like request a reduction in my monthly rent. In addition, I would like to make arrangements to pay the arrearage over time as it would be impossible for me to continue if the entire amount had to be paid at this time. I would like to continue in my business at my current location but without your assistance in reducing my expenses I will have to cease operations. Without an income I will not ever be able to pay the amount currently due for my back rent">

I'm not certain if this will help but in general that is what you have to convey to the landlord. If you close up shop he will have a vacant space to rent and you will have no income with which to pay the rent.

Dave