Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Do banks have to provide information to the government about

Do banks have to provide information to the government about who holds a safety deposit box?

So sorry to hear of your dilemna. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

The bank does not typically report safe deposit boxes on hand to the government. However, if the creditor were to obtain a judgment against you, the safe-deposit boxes could be found through the discovery process of the court.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would the creditor have to know the name of the bank? what is the discovery process?
The discovery process would involve the creditor taking your deposition or requiring you to answer interrogatories under oath. It can also include letters to various banks inquiring as to the existence of a safe deposit box.

Good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So they would need to have the judgement first?
Yes that is correct. The creditor would need to obtain a judgment prior to initiating discovery in aid of execution of the judgment