socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Virginia - Can my boss legally cut my pay 25% and put me on salary Also, is there

Virginia - Can my boss legally cut my pay 25% and put me on salary ? Also, is there a law against cutting different employees different amounts ( pref. treatment ), shouldn't it be a % "across the board" ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
Virgina employment is "at will," which means that the employer and employee can change or terminate the employment agreement at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.

The employer can change your pay at any time, and you have the choice to accept by continuing to work or you can quit. A decrease in pay must be "substantially less favorable to the individual than those prevailing for similar work in the locality" in order to justify payment of unemployment benefits. If cutting your pay by 25% puts you clearly at a lower pay scale than others in your occupation or job description in the same locale, then you would be entitled to unemployment benefits, should you choose to quit in response to the reduction in pay.

Re disparate pay cuts, if the reduction disproportionately affects members of one sex in preference to the other, then that violates the federal Equal Pay Act, and you may have a viable claim of employment discrimination that you, and any other coworker similarly affected, can bring a charge against the employer to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Otherwise, the employer is free to change wages as it sees fit.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 10/2/2010 at 1:24 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have been extremely helpful, thank you very much.
You're welcome and good luck.