Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

If a group of physicians form a medical partnership and they continue to expand

If a group of physicians form a medical partnership and they continue to expand the by adding more practices to the group, are they required to provide a partnership agreement to the physicians that have mergered with them. Also, does the K1 help to determine a partners percentage of ownership. I am going thru a divorce and my spouse is stating that there are no such documents when he mergered his practice with the group. I am tring to figure out how the value of the practice and what type of agreement may have been used.How can I obtain the information.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. It would be extremely unusual for there not to be a partnership agreement to spell out the agreements of all the partners. If there isn't one...which I am suspicious of...then the PA partnership act is going to control things. Yes, the K-1 would indicate ownership interest. You can, in the course of your divorce, have the court compel the production of documents. And, to ascertain the value of the practice, you can have an appraiser versed in valuing ongoing service businesses to appraise the business. As a partner, your husband has a legal right to all the financial records of the partnership...this will enable the appraiser to make a valid assessment of the fair market value of the business.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.