Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I am ready to sign the lease for a business venture and the

Customer Question

I am ready to sign the lease for a business venture and the landlord requires 1,000,000 dollar policy that is two times the premium for the state requirements. If I use the lower insurance coverage... They want me to sign the lease in my name as a person and not as my business to put the liability on me. What should i do?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. I would highly recommend that you pay for the larger policy and avoid signing the lease in your own name. You really never want to take on personal liability for all the obligations under the lease and a larger insurance policy is a small price to pay for being allowed to have only your business on the lease so that your personal assets are protected.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.