Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I have an unsecured amount of debt of $835,000.00. There are

Customer Question

I have an unsecured amount of debt of $835,000.00. There are 3 parties involved in this line of credit. I have a voluntary lien on my house and property to the bank which is in the process of being sold. There is a $150,000.00 CD that is actually being held for this debt. if my property sells and the bank takes the $150,0000.00 the debt should be around $436,000.00. What can the bank do for the remaining balance?_
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. If there are 3 of you on the debt and each of you have joint and several liability, then the bank can come after any or all of you for the remaining $436,000. Your retirement assets are beyond their reach. Also, if any of you should choose to seek bankruptcy proptection, many more assets are exempt from the reach of creditors.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much. I have talked to a bankruptcy attorney and due to the fact that the 3rd party involved has other assets, they suggest we try to settle with the bank ourselves. I just receive the original loan documents from the bank that include all 3 of us on the loan. Can they touch that 3rd parties other businesses if we file bankruptcy?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome. They cannot touch the businesses themselves, but they can touch the individual's interests in those businesses because these are assets of the involved individuals.