Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

501(c)(7)/IL NFP with IL Land Trust guy here. In doing my

501(c)(7)/IL NFP with IL Land Trust guy here. In doing my research on social and recreation clubs, one recurring theme is that individuals are not to have an ownership interest in their organization. The original General Not for Profit Corporation Act in Illinois passed on July 17, 1943, prohibits the issuance of shares and distributing dividends to members reflecting the non-ownership directive. In a previous dialogue you responded: “It would make perfect sense. To issue shares would be to create an ownership interest in the organization which is counter to the purpose of an NFP.” That said, why is an individual ownership interest contrary to the purpose of an NFP? From what I can discern, non-ownership is responsive to the federal statute provision of “Inurement Prohibited.” Here is the earliest form of the statute I could find, “no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder . . . 47 Stat. 193 (1932). Is this where the non-ownership imperative comes from?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
An individual ownership interest is prohibited in an NFP because the organization is to have a charitable purpose and upon dissolution of an NFP all remaining assets are to go to that purpose. If there are individual shareholders then upon dissolution the shareholders would obtain the assets, counter to the law on NFP's. Also, if you have individual shareholders, they could claim dividends or sell shares which would be counter to the purpose of the NFP which states that all proceeds must go to the stated purpose.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is to happen to the corporate assets, then, in the case of the dissolution of a NFP social club, as it is not a charitable organization, yet allowed tax-exempt status under 501(c)(7) and the laws of the state it is chartered?
The corporate assets are to be given to the charitable purpose of the organization upon dissolution and if the charitable purpose no longer exists then it is to go to another non-profit entity with a charitable purpose as a donation, it cannot go to any private individual.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.