Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

federal law states that ever public building must have qualified

Customer Question

federal law states that ever public building must have qualified aed responders. They don't reimburse us for training hours and they don't compensate us for that title. Is that legal, can we fight to get this money?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Absent some union contract to the contrary, the employer does not have to provide extra compensation for the title and the employer does not have to pay for the training unless they mandate a specific employee's attendance at training. If the employer makes it merely a qualification for employment to be trained in use of the AED then they do not have to pay for that training absent some contract.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

State Education Law Section 917 requires public school administrators to ensure the presence of at least one operable Automated External Defibrillator (AED) at each school, as well as staff volunteers in each school building/annex, etc who are appropriately trained and certified in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillator (CPR/AED). and can respond to medical emergencies. The law also requires the presence of trained responders and AEDs at all school-sponsored activities (curricular or extracurricular events and activities) on site as well as off site.

We were told we had to.. Its not in our contract

But the law does not mandate you have to be paid extra for this and unless the contract mandates you have to be paid extra, the employer can simply make it a job requirements and does not have to give you extra pay for the training.