MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I own two fitness facilities and am wondering if it is legal

Customer Question

I own two fitness facilities and am wondering if it is legal to operate without staff during specified times? Also, other than liability insurance is there any other coverage I should be looking for so I cannot get sued if someone gets hurt or even dies when no one is staffing the club? I have a liability form that everyone signs along with an addendum I created for the unstaffed hours. Please advise. Thank you

BTW I'm located in PA
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, yes it is legal to operate the fitness facility without staff (similar to how a hotel fitness facility operates). Your liability coverage should cover any issues, but you would need to make sure that your liability carrier is aware of your operating schedule.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do have liability coverage and the insurance agent is currently reviewing the liability forms. Do you recommend any other type of coverages I may need?
No, your liability coverage would be the coverage you need.
Have I answered your question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've recently discovered a Health Club Act in Pa that states "someone must be on site during hours of operation to administer cpr". do you know if this law has been amended? It was established in 1990. There are many gyms in Pa operating without staff.
Hello, no that law has not been amended. The only way that these clubs you mention are skirting the requirement is if these clubs are considered private clubs owned and operated by its members (Section 2162).

Edited by DCrane Law on 9/27/2010 at 12:17 AM EST