Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

My son will be attending the university of denver and like

My son will be attending the university of denver and like to try out for the ski team.
Although not a top level ski racer he did compete one year FIS in Norway at the age of 15.
Since he has not competed since does he have any rights to participate in fall training and try out for the team even if the coach feels he does not have a chance?
regards,
Kenneth Grant
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

Participation in training is not something to which your son is entitled. However, he would be entitled to try out for the team. He would have to train on his own.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

On the ski team there is a typical travel team and a couple of back ups in case of injury.

There are only 4.5 scholarships for men. If my son wants to join the team although not a starter why not? If he pays all his expenses and is not a financial burden why could he not participate on a school team for which he is paying for through his college tuition?

In order to be on the team you have to try out for the team and be selected. You do not have the right to be on the team other than in that process. Your son is not entitled to be on the team. He tries for the team and is selected. If he is not selected he is not on the team. There is no other way to get on a school team.

Thank you for accepting the answer.