wallstreetesq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years, Corp litigation, Of Counsel to several global and nationwide corporation

Im starting a company, a corporation to be more precise. Under

I'm starting a company, a corporation to be more precise. Under that company, I will be running a couple of restaurants.

First off, can I start a corporation under the name 'X Inc.' and can the restaurant to be named 'Y'? How would I go about this? Is 'Y' a DBA, a trademark?

In any case, I guess my question is more related to terminology. I basically want to start a corporation but there could be different business types running under it.

Also, when I'm running the restaurant and somebody wants to write a check to the business, will I receive a check under the restaurant's name or the corporation?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 6 years ago.
you would create one corporation and the restaurant name would be a DBA you could trademark the name but that does not have any bearing on whether it is part of the corporation, usually a DBA or doing business as is used for subsidiary business. All checks written to the restaurant would be deposited in the corp. even with the DBA name.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the corporation would use various DBA's for whatever different businesses it's running and the corporation would own those DBA's? So the DBA name can be trademarked?
yes, a DBA can be trademarked, but it should have a logo or symbol to make it unique. Consider the M in Macdonald's, the golden arches makes it unique.