MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

Municipal court mailed (general delivery) by the city attorney,

Customer Question

Municipal court mailed (general delivery) by the city attorney, who prosecutes the case a summons and inspection notice. I didn't recieve it, so I didn't know about it. Later they certified mailed a summons, for which I did recieve, when I appeared, I was given a $50 a day sanction fine till the property was inspected. I was fully coopertive with the code enforcement officer, no problems were found, everything was complient. When we returned to court, I was given a $500 fine because I did not show on the first court date that I didn't even know about. I was told at that court date, we would address the fine at the next court date. The next court date was 35 days later, I was told at the following court date the case was finalized at the prior court date, we were there only to address all the fines asscoiated with that case ($1000) and a prior fine, for a total of $2000 and was given 60 days to pay it off. I live in Illinois, I thought a summons had to hand delivered by a third party, not merley put in general delivery mail. I think its too late to file an appeal. I feel like my constitutional rights have been violated. Can municipal court do this? summons general delivery only? can I appeal?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, yes they can issue a summons via general mail. However, if you truly did not receive it, you could have disputed the fine at the first hearing and appealed the fine if unsuccessful. From your description, your attorney dropped the ball.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but can an appeal be filed after the 30 days?
No, it cannot.