N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983

Im looking for any cooling tower industry deals in the past

Customer Question

I'm looking for any cooling tower industry deals in the past two years in the US. Is there a way you can provide me that? Is there any website that would provide that sort of information. I'm in the process of selling my cooling tower business. I want to get a sense of the sells that might have happened in this space, something like who were the buyers, what price this was sold. I'm ready to spend any amount of money to get this kind of information.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 years ago.
Who are your main competitors?

What size towers do you fabricate?

Edited by N Cal Attorney on 9/1/2010 at 9:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are small to mid size company. So ideally any cooling tower spares and small to medium cooling tower company are our competitors. We have revenues around $2mn.

We fabricate 10 to 3000TR towers in FRP Counterflow and Wooden Crossflow. We also deal with spare parts.
This is sort of an obscure industry.

The main potential buyers for your business are your competitors. You may want to have a business appraiser go over your books and give you an idea of the fair market value of the business, then make inquiries of your competitors and see if any of them are interested in acquiring the business from you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes agreed.

Can you help me in getting some information on the deals that might have happened in cooling tower industry? This would give me some idea in terms of nos. i'm also thinking of approaching private equity, VCs for a buyout.
I cannot find any recent news of any deals in that industry. There is a very expensive report available at
which may not have the information you want.

This is a fairly new industry and maybe there have not been any recent buyouts or sales of manufacturers. A good business appraiser can still give you an idea of the value of the company. If you are serious about selling, you should probably have a CPA review the books and give you an informed opinion as to value.

There are a lot of ways to structure these deals. You may want to remain with the seller as a highly paid consultant for a set period as part of the agreement, so I also urge you to consult a tax attorney about how to structure the deal assuming you find a buyer.

One rule of thumb claims that a property is worth 111 times the monthly income it generates... But a CPA will give you more than I can based on the limited information I have. You need a professional to help you value the company.