Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am becoming a partner in a small business. I have a Partnership

Customer Question

I am becoming a partner in a small business. I have a Partnership Agreement I am supposed to sign. I have heard that a Security Offering must be in place, for the partnership to be legal. Is this true? And if so, who handles this...meaning, the owner of the company now OR do I sign the dotted line and help pay to put this in place?

Thanks.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.
How many people are being offered partnership interests? Once you join will that be the last of the partners? Is this a limited partnership interest or a general partnership interest?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am the only person. This is a tutoring company that has been around for 8 years. I would pay in $25k and start receiving 1/2 the profits right from the beginning. In the Partnership Agreement, she is paying in $37,500 (although she has already done so by owning the company). So, that's 1 person I am joining, making this a 2-person partnership. Yes, I am the last of the partners. This is a GENERAL partnership per the Partnership Agreement.

You would not need any offering statement for several reasons. First there is a limited offering exemption and where you are going to be an officer or director of a company you are considered to have access to all the information you need to make an informed decision. Second, a general partnership interest is not a security so there is no need for an exemption. You should consider making your partnership an LLC. It is the same as a partnership except you get the benefit of limited liability and do not put all your personal assets at risk.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I was hoping for a bit more to go on. I don't understand legal terms and I would prefer a non-legal (dumb-downed) answer. Thanks..
I was hoping for a bit more to go on. I don't understand legal terms and I would prefer a non-legal (dumb-downed) answer. Thanks.

To make it simple, you do not need a Securities Offering statement for the partnership to be legal. You need to be sure you understand the business and the risks involved and understand the partnership agreement.