Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have a client who owes my company 16,500 dollars. They are

I have a client who owes my company 16,500 dollars.
They are being unresponsive to my requests for payment.
I heard they are trying to sell their company.
They are based in CA and I am in CT.
I was thinking about retaining counsel in CA and then suing them in their local market.
Here are my questions;
What is the best way to proceed?
What is an estimate of costs to sue them?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Unfornately, $16,500 is too large amount to sue in small claims court, so you will need to bring this suit in civil district court. If you transacted business with them long distance...you in CT and your client in CA, you can attempt to bring this suit in CT because there are adequate ties to allow that. The worse that could happen would be that the judge would allow a change in venue. You'd be no worse off. Also, if they are trying to sell the company, filing the suit as soon as possible would be great because in selling the company, the company is going to be required to disclose any lawsuits so this will probably accelerate their willingness to resolve this. The cost of actually filing the lawsuit will be relatively small....probably under $500. If it goes to trial, it could cost several thousand dollars, but your judgment would include your legal costs of suit.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do I need an attorney to file this suit in district court?

How much should I expect to pay in legal fees?