Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My partner and I run a small practice consulting company in

Customer Question

My partner and I run a small practice consulting company in Georgia, and we are exploring the idea of buying some specialty practices and starting a practice management company. I was wondering how practice management companies get around state laws of physician ownership for practices. Some of the large practice management companies that own practices are publicly traded, so they are obviously not only physician owned. Thank you for your assistance. Georgia code for medical practices states (43-34-21):-- "To practice medicine," "the practice of medicine," or "practicing medicine" means to hold oneself out to the public as being engaged in the diagnosis or treatment of disease, defects, or injuries of human beings; or the suggestion, recommendation, or prescribing of any form of treatment for the intended palliation, relief, or cure of any physical, mental, or functional ailment or defect of any person with the intention of receiving therefor, either directly or indirectly, any fee, gift, or compensation whatsoever; or the maintenance of an office for the reception, examination, and treatment of persons suffering from disease, defect, or injury of body or mind; or attaching the title "M.D.," "Oph.," "D.," "Dop.," "Surgeon," "Doctor," "D.O.," "Doctor of Osteopathy," "Allopathic Physician," "Osteopathic Physician," or "Physician," either alone or in connection with other words, or any other words or abbreviations to one's name, indicating that such person is engaged in the treatment or diagnosis of disease, defects, or injuries to human beings, provided that the terms "doctors of medicine," "doctors of osteopathic medicine," "doctors of medicine licensed to practice in the state," and similar terms wherever used or appearing in this article or elsewhere shall mean and include only those persons licensed under this article.-- The section about "maintenance of an office for the reception, examination, and treatment of persons suffering from disease, defect, or injury of body or mind" seems to indicate that only physicians can own medical practices.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,

Fran
JustAnswer Moderator

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
They get around the law because they form a company that merely owns the practices and does not offer to practice medicine nor to they hold themselves out to practice medicine and for each practice they own they have a medical director in charge of that practice and they hire an overall medical director to manage the entire operation. Thus, all they are doing is managing and not practicing medicine. There can be corporate ownership of these practices, but you are going to need a local attorney to set up the corporation and you will need a licensed doctor to be the medical director of the corporation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That makes sense. So, in creating a corporation or LLC that owns the practices and handles the business aspects of the practices, and hiring a medical director at each practice that manages the practice of medicine and an overall medical director that manages the medical program, they are then able to advertise the practices to the public as providing medical services and are able to employ the physicians who practice the medicine? Do the medical directors that are employed by the PPMC need to have any ownership, or do they just need to be empowered to make all medical decisions?

Thanks,
They do not need to have ownership, but many of these corporations give them some small percentage of ownership as a means of their compensation package (usually 25% or less, depending on the situations). The medical directors run the actual medical practice operations so they hire the doctors and direct the doctors. When setting these up you need a local corporate lawyer that deals with medical corporations to assist you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great, thank you for your assistance.
Thank you.