Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

Im not sure what to do here. Back in 08 I signed a contract

Customer Question

I'm not sure what to do here. Back in '08 I signed a contract with a facility called Massage Envy. You pay $59 a month for a 1 hour massage and its automatically billed to your credit card. I fulfilled a one year contract. After fulfilling the contract I was in a car accident that required shoulder surgery and prevented me from working. Due to the surgery I could no longer have massages and due to not being able to work, I could not afford $59 a month. I called the facility to explain this to them and they said no problem that they would cancel the contract.

The following month (Nov '09) I received a message saying that my credit card was being declined (actually it had expired at that point). I called back right away and told them that I canceled the prior month and that they should no longer be charging me. The girl had to call a manager and she called me back and told me that it would be taken care of and "not to worry". I never heard from them again.

Fast forward to the present- About 2 months ago I got a letter from this facility telling me that I owe $700 in back charges and that if I didn't pay it within 2 weeks that they would be sending me to collections. I sent them a certified letter outlining the events and telling them why I should not owe the money- they never responded.

Sure enough 2 weeks later I get a letter from a collections agency. This letter said that I now owe $1300. It said that I had 30 days to dispute the debt so once again I sent a certified letter outlining the course of events and why I should not and do not owe the money. I also stated that the amount was $500 more than what Massage Envy said I owed just 2 weeks prior. They signed for the letter, but never responded.

Today I got another bill from this collections agency. They never sent anything to validate the debt or anything. I cannot find the original contract from '08. There is no way that I could possibly pay this debt, nor do I want to since I don't think I owe it. The letter they sent today, they are threatening to take me to court if I don't pay. What do I do? What recourse do I have?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

JustAnswer Moderator