socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

In a business LLC with two limited liability partners. #1 partner

Customer Question

In a business LLC with two limited liability partners. #1 partner with land worth $275,000 to contribute free and clear and the #2 partner with the construction financing of $275,000 and they both work in the business, how would you word the limited liability clauses for each partners limits of liability and assets? It's like the #1 partner had all the equity in land and the #2 partner had to borrow the money to build upon. Construction completed and property value down say 50% and probably not going to appraise higher than $400,000 (just enough to meet loan to equity ratios). I am stumped on the wording of the LLC partners.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

An LLC limits each investor's liability to the amount of their respective investments, by operation of law. There is no wording necessary to divide liability, because a third party dealing with the LLC is not bound by your agreement.

In sum, if you put $550,000 into the business, then that's the max that anyone could sue the business for, and no member is liable for anything other than that which is assigned to the LLC.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.