Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.

My mother wants to establish an irrevocable trust and transfer

My mother wants to establish an irrevocable trust and transfer her assets into it. If she name me as her sole beneficiary and I subsequently get divorced, will the assets fall into the joint property category in the divorce?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 6 years ago.

No, any asset that is gifted to you by your mother will remain your separate asset. The only way it becomes a marital asset is if you commingle the property once it is distributed to you outside of trust (while it remains in trust for your benefit it can't become commingled).

I believe I have answered your question. Your accept would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can provide clarification concerning your original question, please let me know.

If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you accept the answer to your first question before asking another.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, neither I nor JustAnswer can be compensated for the time and resources expended.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say and will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.