Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I am the VP of a New York and a North Carolina corporation.

I am the VP of a New York and a North Carolina corporation. I am preparing notices for the annual shareholders meetings for both corporations. Since technically we do not have a secretary (the current secretary was recently promoted to President and the same person can not be both) can I, as VP, sign the notices? Since one of the items on the agenda will be to name me as secretary, I can not sign as secretary.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Is either company publicly traded?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, we are private, and the other shareholders (6 in total) are family members, but we are doing everthing to the letter of the law because one member (an in-law, of course) is creating trouble.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

In following the letter of the law, the proper procedure would be for the Board of Directors to appoint a temporary acting secretary to sign the notice unless your bylaws specifically state that the VP may notice the annual shareholders meeting.