How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the VP of a New York and a North Carolina corporation.

Resolved Question:

I am the VP of a New York and a North Carolina corporation. I am preparing notices for the annual shareholders meetings for both corporations. Since technically we do not have a secretary (the current secretary was recently promoted to President and the same person can not be both) can I, as VP, sign the notices? Since one of the items on the agenda will be to name me as secretary, I can not sign as secretary.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Is either company publicly traded?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, we are private, and the other shareholders (6 in total) are family members, but we are doing everthing to the letter of the law because one member (an in-law, of course) is creating trouble.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

In following the letter of the law, the proper procedure would be for the Board of Directors to appoint a temporary acting secretary to sign the notice unless your bylaws specifically state that the VP may notice the annual shareholders meeting.
Ellen and 6 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions