Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Hello, I have a daycare center and lease a couple rooms inside

I have a daycare center and lease a couple rooms inside a jewish synagogue. I keep receiving an annual bill of $100 per year for a fire inspection even though I don't own the building and the temple has already passed their yearly inspection.I also am charged a sign tax but my sign is on the temples property. My question is I don't think I should have to pay the fire inspection tax because it's not my building and the temple already passed their inspection for the entire building which they would be tax exempt because they are a religious institution and wouldn't my sign be exempt also?
No you are a private business and you do not gain the benefit of the tax exempt status merely because you rent space from a tax exempt entity. You do not get tax exempt status, even if your sign is on their building. The only way you could get the benefit of their tax exempt status is if they owned your business and you managed it for them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer ,and that answers about the sign but what about being charged for the fire inspection when the temple has already been inspected and passed. I have no control over the building and the temple has complete ownership and control.
If they are considering you a separate business they can charge you for the inspection of the rooms that you rent from them separately from the building.