Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

is it 100% legal to buy merchandise from outlet stores (as

Customer Question

is it 100% legal to buy merchandise from outlet stores (as an individual, not a business), and then sell that merchandise in a boutique-type store?

How does this work with taxes (buying merchandise as a business usually is tax-free)?

Do I have to incur the cost of tax because I am purchasing the merchandise as an "end user" (even though the intent is not for personal use)?

What is the difference (if any) between this method and the traditional way stores engage in merchandising (direct relationships with manufacturers, a.s.o.).

Are there any permits or licenses that I need to acquire in order to legally sell those products in my own boutique?

Any other guidelines or references would be great! thanks.
Thanks!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You can buy merchandise from an outlet store and there is a right to resell. You would have to charge sales tax on the sales when you sell them. You would need to be an incorporated business (LLC or Corporation) and you would need to obtain a Tax ID from the IRS and then you would have to file your sales taxes with the NY Department of Revenue for all of your sales. If you buy wholesale like most stores do, then you do not pay sales tax on your purchases outside of the state (but you would pay sales tax on any purchases made within NY) and then when you sell the merchandise you would also charge sales tax on the sales and pay those taxes to the DOR.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
too generic, did not answer my particular questions specifically.
What do you need to know more specifically? If you would ask specific questions on what more you need to know I would be happy to assist you further. You asked a very broad question, so unless I know what you do not know and need more information on I would simply be guessing.

1) Yes, it is legal to buy from an outlet store and then sell the merchandise elsewhere under the legal right to resell.

2) You pay sales tax when purchasing from the outlet store and when you sell the merchandise you charge sales tax to the buyer and you file your sales taxes with the Department of Revenue.

3) Yes you have to pay the sales tax and then you charge sales tax to the buyer as well. Merchants figure in the cost of the tax when pricing items for resale.

4) The only difference in this method and the traditional method stores use in buying from the manufacture is that the traditional method allows the buyer to buy in bulk and at a wholesale price. The store still pays sales tax and shipping for the items. These sales tax and shipping costs are calculated into the price when the merchant prices for sale.

5) If you are going to have a store, NY does require business licenses in NYC, but other than that you should be an incorporated entity, such as a corporation or LLC and would need a tax id in the name of the corporation to use to file taxes. The LLC is usually the best entity for a smaller business because the taxation for profits is passed onto the members and they claim profits on their personal taxes and the LLC pays no income tax only sales taxes.