Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing attorney, MBA
19958803

Sell car to possible illegal immigrant? I may be interested

Customer Question

Sell car to possible illegal immigrant?

I may be interested in selling my car to someone that I that very well may be an illegal imigrant.

He wants to give me cash for my car. My car is register in Jacksonville at the address of primary residence. I am familiar with bill of sale and he can get a money order I can copy and deposit. Are there any other issues? Do I need his SS #? My primary concern is sufficient documentation of the sale so I do not have liability after the sale.

Please advise.

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Your main concern shoud be transferring the car out of your name immediately after the sale. Do not let him say he will do it tomorrow or the next week. Do it the same day you sell the car. Otherwise, he is riding around in a car that is legally titled and registered to you.

.

If he can't get it registered for one reason or another, when you sell a vehicle or vessel you need to protect yourself by filing Form HSMV, Notice of Sale. Once you file the Notice of Sale Form to the Tax Collector's office, according to Florida Statute Section 319. 22(2), you will avoid civil liability for the vehicle or vessel. This means if the buyer gets in a car accident you won't be liable.

.

.

thanks

If I have answered your question, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. will accept after this. Got the form, but what duty do I have to verify the person purchasing my car is who they say they are?

Just let them fill out the portion of Form HSMV, Notice of Sale and take the cash and I will be ok legally, correct?

Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

You are under no duty to verify someone's identity for a private sale. For your own protection though, I would see if I could get a copy of some type of picture id, even if it is just a Mexican driver's license so you have a picture of the guy in case he gives you the cash and then goes and robs a bank 10 minutes later.

.

But yes, fill out the form and I would probably hand deliver it th the DMV the same day if possible so they get it asap.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 years practicing attorney, MBA
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry. 1 thing that was wrong in my question.

Car is registered in FL, but the buyer is in GA. Does this change anything for me?

Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Nope, still no obligation on your part.

But still want to cover your bases with a pic id if you can get one.

.

.

Thanks so much for the bonus.