Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I have a shopping center lease. My business is frozen yogurt

I have a shopping center lease. My business is frozen yogurt store. My lease does not explicitly specify that there will be no other tenants selling frozen yogurts. But it does say that I can only sell frozen yogurts. The owner promised that he will not let any other tenants sell frozen yogurts verbally. He said he will make sure of it and told us it is not necessary to do so. And we didn't. Big mistake. Now 6 months into the lease, he is letting other tenants sell frozen yogurts. A coffee cafe, two doors down from my store is selling frozen yogurts and it has killed our business. We complained to the shopping center owner and he now says since my lease does not have exclusive only one kind clause in the lease, it is ok for all others to sell frozen yogurts. This is morally wrong, but I think I might be doomed. My question is since the lease specifies that I can only sell frozen yogurts only, nothing else, doesn't that imply that no other tenants can sell frozen yogurts? Can I do something legally?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. I am so sorry for your situation. Your landlord obviously took advantage of you, but unfortunately verbal arrangements are not binding in real estate transactions. The fact that you can only sell yogurt will not give rise to the legal implication that no one else can sell frozen yogurt. I wish I could give you happier news!

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.