Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I was diagnosed with severe dyslexia in the 1980s when I was

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with severe dyslexia in the 1980's when I was in my early 20's. Today, I wish to start a government contracting business with a view toward competing for contracts that are specifically for disabled persons. As a middle-aged white guy with severe learning disabilities, but otherwise high functioning in life, would I qualify to compete for "set-aside" contracts? If so, how would I need to certify myself as such? What about qualifying for an SBA loan on this basis?

Thanks,
Jonathon
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You would have to first establish you are currently disabled (since as a white middle aged guy we pretty much qualify for nothing) and once you can establish you are disabled you can apply for set asides for handicapped individuals. This requires in most cases a local corporate attorney to assist you because it will involve proof of disability through medical records and dealing with these government agencies is really a nightmare. You are going to have to satisfy the government agencies and SBA that you are legally handicapped to qualify and this can sometimes be an insurmountable task.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.