Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have three locations. One location, we pay too much rent,

I have three locations. One location, we pay too much rent, durrently 7K a month while they now offer the vacant spaces surrounding us for 4K. They agreed to reduce rent temporarily but we still have to pay it at the end of the lease. Business has not gotten better and we"re always playing catch up with rent. If we just closed doors, i have one location right across the street with the same business name, are they able to go after us for the remainder of the lease? we are a sole proprietos, we have absolutely no assets, we have bad credit (due to real estate investments) Although i would say that the other two are viable businesses.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If the lease is in your business name, they could seek to sue the business itself for the damages and this means it can come out of the remainder of the locations, unless they are set up as completely separate business entities. If you walk away from your lease, they can still come after you for the balance of the lease due. If you are set up as a sole proprietorship then they can sue you personally as well and it may end up with you having to put everything into bankruptcy including yourself to avoid having to pay the money to creditors.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.