Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Now that I have your advice on this I am staying away from

Now that I have your advice on this I am staying away from software from China. But how about hardware? They say they are able to get legit Mac laptops, for example, for a fraction of the retail price that I can legally resell with full warranty from Apple. Is this legal? From their rep: "We supply thousands of high-quality merchandise from factories and manufactures directly. We have professional sales representative, QC, shipping carriers, etc. Start your business here today and experience our first class service and fast shipping"
Apple has authorized sellers and dealers, if you become one of those authorized dealers, then you have the right to sell the merchandise. Again, you need here to check with Apple, because if you start selling machines that were not authorized for sale in Canada or the US, then they can refuse to honor the warranty. These companies in China many times advertise legitimate products that have been shipped to China for sale there and not for sale elsewhere and this is how people get stung when they get into these deals. The problem then becomes that you have legal recourse against the seller, but you have to sue them in China, which becomes very expensive.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again for the quick reply. So, if I am not a reseller the warranty *may* be invalid if I resell, but other than that since I am buying and reselling a physical product (laptops in this case) it should be legal, right?

What about other laptops, like HP, Dell, etc.? Can I legally sell these if I buy them new in an unopened box?

Basically, I am wondering if it is safer than getting into software reselling?
RIght if you are not a reseller then it could void the warranty. Apple is a little different since they are sold at limited locations, unlike the Windows based machines and there are many restrictions in their contracts, such as they ship some out of North America for sale and those that are shipped out of North America cannot be shipped back in for resale. All of these issues must be looked at and determined before you decide to get involved.

You can sell those other machines, yes, because they do not have some of the proprietary dealer restrictions Apple has. And you also need to check into the Apple deal, but you need to examine the contracts they have with the company in China and also need to check with Apple regarding their reseller agreements. I am not saying you cannot do it, you need to just review the contracts to protect yourself and have your corporate attorney review them as well.