Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.
635143

I was fired from my employment, without a face to face; I was

I was fired from my employment, without a face to face; I was the center manager and had an employee on an action plan, I had over doubled business and went on vacation. My salesman called in sick, I texted my RN on my staff and stated at least I know I can count on her and not my salesman. I left a message on my salesman phone that I would talk to him when I get back, He had called human resource and stated he should not have to be threatened when he is sick, mind you he has already 10 sick days this year and was sick for two day two weeks ago and I called im out on those days, and he stated to me at that time, that I called him on his bullshit. I also have a customer service rep, who is on an actionplan who jumped on his ban wagon. BotXXXXX XXXXXne I was text that my services of center manager were terminated imediately. reason was causing discord, restricting work output and negligence in my duties. I totally disagree with this and want to know if I have resourse. I am in washington state.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your job.

In order to provide you with the most thorough information, it would be helpful to know the following:

Did you have an employment contract with your employer?
Do you believe you were terminated for any reason other than the misunderstanding regarding how you handled your salesman?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an at will contract, I was the center manager, I was txt that I was fired for discord, restricting work flow. I was never given the oportunity to discuss the acusations or talk in person, i received a txt and then i had to call over six times to get in contact w/ my area manager. This is a major corporation and is publiclily traded if that makes a difference. I had an employee on a action plan for termination for not doing their job and stated I kept her from doing so, which is totally false, I over doubled the business in the last six months. Im still not sure of what really happened. Im still in shock, I have been going to meetings over the last six months and getting nothing but performance recognition.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 4 years ago.
I completely understand your shock and again I am sorry. It sounds like you were very good at your job. However, even in being good at your job, an at-will contract (barring provisions to the contrary) allows your employer to terminate you at any time and for any (or no reason) without notice. As long as you were not terminated for illegal reasons or reasons against public policy, i.e. discriminatory reasons because of your age, race, religion, gender, or national ancestry, you have little recourse. I am sorry, but unless the agreement gives you more rights than the average at-will employee, your employer owes you not duty to defend yourself or discuss your situation. Additionally, you may be terminated without a face to face. Although it is not very professional or nice, the law does not protect employees from being treated poorly on their way out of the company.

I am sorry, but given these facts, it is unlikely that you will have recourse. Even if you were to prove that your employer got the facts wrong, that is not enough because your employer can terminate you for no reason. In order to have recourse, you would need to show that either your employer violated a provision of your at-will employment agreement or that the song and dance they gave you on the way out was pretextual and that you were really fired for a discriminatory reason.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

Good Luck!
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience: I am familiar with this area of law.